Friday, August 5, 2011

Day 361 - Flashback, the Summer of Our Discontent 2009

I've mentioned before that the decision for me to have the weight loss surgery was one that I should've made 2 years ago.  25 months ago, I was well into morbidly obese weight level.  For more than 2 years, I've had episodes of developing blisters on my shins, that doesn't heal completely.  In the summer of 2009, the situation has progressed to such extend, that I was basically bleeding blood, minus the red blood cell.  I have to have constant bandage changes just to soak up the plasma.

To make matter worse, I had a little accident.   In my house, we either wear slippers or barefoot.  Shoes are kept at either the garage or near the front door.  I go barefoot.  Right around June of 2009, I was walking towards the bathroom, in the dark when my left foot struck the base of the sofa.  The toenail on my big toe was a bit longer than usual, and it hit the sofa hard.  I didn't know it at the time, but the toenail was gone.  I was bleeding, oozing puss, and in pain.

In the midst of all this pain, I was the only member of my family that actually went to London to attend my cousin's wedding.  Needless to say, that trip wasn't fun.  There's a lot of walking in London, and with my extra weight, bleeding shins, toe with soon to broken off toenail, I was in no shape to walk all of the distances.

My doctor soon find out the cause of my feet and shin swelling, diabetic medication Actos and switch out that for Byetta injection.  The toenail eventually falls off and I was without toenail on that toe for more than a year.  My diabetic control, which despite doubling of the medication continue to deteriorate.  Finally on my year end appointment with my doctor, she mentioned that the next course of treatment will be Insulin injection.  That's how I end up making my mind about the surgery.

Despite this, it still takes me 3 more months to finally get started on the program.  Inertia is a great force indeed.

115/77/66 187.2lb 88 mg/DL

No comments:

Post a Comment