Monday, August 15, 2011

Day 371 - On Google Buying Motorola

When I get on my computer this morning to put in my wake up blood pressure meter (the only piece of brain work I get before hitting the web), I naturally fired up my browser and looked at Google+.  The very first thing that caught my eye is a post by Geoff Atteberry about Google buying Motorola Mobility (which includes the cell phone & the set top cable box).

The very first thing that pop into my mind is that this is a patent defense/offense move by Google.  They can afford it, and they're probably either going to spin-off the set top cable box business (as suggested by Eric Raymond in his Google+ posting) or they're going to just keep the patent and sell off the remaining cellular phone business.

Personally, in the immediate future, not much will change.  Motorola will not be integrated into Google anytime soon.  For one thing, this is the biggest thing Google have ever acquired.  For another thing, they're not going to antagonize the rest of the Android makers by playing favors.

Lets just hope that Verizon (my carrier of choice, since I bought their cell tower repeater to service my house) gets a Nexus phone.

107/74/56 183.8lb 91 mg/DL

No comments:

Post a Comment