Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 40 : Back to Usual Routines - Flashback Day 1

Nothing terribly earth shattering today.  At least I'm back doing my weekend chores prior to my surgery, another step  back to normality.  Was tempted to visit the forbidden noodle shop and try their fried tofu again, but since I'm running late as it is with the trip to the cemetery to put flower at my mother's urn, that temptation is suppressed.

Back to back-filling my pre-blog narrations.

The surgery is at 08-09-10 (hum, just noticed, 8-9-10 :).  My brother was kind enough to take a whole week off to help me out.  Due to the fact that the surgery took place at 9AM, our actual check in time is 6:45 AM, which means we have to leave a wee bit earlier than that.  Following the surgery protocol, I actually dressed fairly down (as it turns out, I won't be wearing anything more than the hospital gown for 3 days) with T-shirts and gym shorts.  Didn't carry my wallet, took 2 ID with me for identification.  I did bring my Droid phone with me with charger.

Since this is my first major surgery, most of what happens is brand new territory.  Pre-op involved the staff taking a bunch of reading and fitting my right arm with a IV drip thingamajig that I'll be carrying for the next 3 days as well.  After getting work up in pre-ops for about 2 hours, I was wheeled into the surgery room.  My impression of the place is that it's rather empty, and COLD.  There the last thing I remember prior to me loosing 2 hours of memory is the assistant anesthesiologist pressing down on my chest to straighten my windpipe so they can fit a breathing tube through.

Roughly 2 hours later, I awoke in the post-op room with a tremendous muscle cramp near diaphragm that really acted up when I cough, which given the amount of nasal discharge and my coughing habit is a bit painful.  Fortunately, one of the nurse at my room told me about putting a pillow on top of that muscle, press down with my arms.  That makes my coughing tolerable.

One of the necessary discomfort that I had while in the hospital is the leg squeeze wrap that worked the muscle on my calf muscles.  I understand the purpose of that contraption, but none the less, it's a wee bit discomfort as every time I want to go to to pee, I have to ring the nurse to unstrap me and strap me back in.

The surgeon and other medical staff were a bit unease with my blood pressure and pulse rate.  So much so by 9PM, they ordered the full barrage of tests, blood work, chest x-ray, and my least favorite CATS scan.  Now, everything else I've done before, CAT scan is a new thing.  The CAT scan requires them to inject me with a dye that fill my vein with fire.  That sensation spread to other part of my skins, and the entire process is rather uncomfortable.  As it turns out, this dye have other after effect that's annoying.

This barrage of test lasted until 2AM, at which time I attempt to sleep.
Ok, last night, I actually managed to raid until 2AM on my death knight.  That goes a way to explain my number.

142/97/68 290.4lb 91mg/DL

No comments:

Post a Comment