Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 44 : Flashback Day 3 - The Discharge

Continuing my back filled of first couple of days after surgery:

Day 3 came along, I was walking 20 laps in the morning.  By now, I was under the effect of both CO2 that was pumped into my stomach cavity to make room for surgical instruments seeping into the rest of my body, and the after effect of the CAT scan dye.  This makes my entire body muscle ache.

The on-call physicians made their round in the morning, and was happy enough with my result that I was getting discharged that day.  Call my brother to come pick me up, finally I get to remove Peripheral Cannula (the thingamajig installed on my right forearm) and not getting hooked up to the saline solution dispensing machine.  That device is just another mildly annoying things in the hospital stay (the other being wearing nothing but a hospital gown and flip flaps).

I took both of the prescription (Prilosec and liquid Codeine) and fill them at my local pharmacy.  The Prilosec I'll be taking for the next 40 days.  Surprisingly enough, I don't have enough pain to justified using liquid Codeine, and I stopped altogether 2 days after discharge.  I also went and buy some chicken broth to supplement the protein shake that'll become my constant meal choices.

One thing I think I kind of messed up is how I take my medicine.  I grind all of the morning medicines with a marble mortars and pestles into fine powder.  I than use Magic Bullet to blend the medicine into the protein shake.  3 weeks later, I decided to just take the medicine powder, bitter as it was straight up with a sip of water, and not alter the protein shake.  Blending the shakes increases the volume of the drink by about 20%, and I really don't need more air in my digestive system. 
Today's on-call onslaught isn't quit as bad as yesterday.  I'm only awaken at 2AM and then a couple more times at 4AM.  At that junction, I decided to just drive into work right away and take care of it.

136/92/84 288 lb 90 mg/DL

No comments:

Post a Comment