Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 234 - Stir-Fried Marinated Pork with Ginger

My skill as a cook is that I won't starve. I don't eat well before the surgery, and after the surgery, I have whole categories of food that I don't tolerate well. A couple of weeks back, I started using basil in omelet. In the same batch of experiment, I also tried stir-fried marinated pork. Since I don't go and buy basil until Friday, and basil really don't last well once I take them out of the package, I have to just improvise when I don't have all of the material.

We usually buy meat in bulk from Costco and cut and stored in individual use package. Usually for steak and pork, we cut them into about 6 ounce package, with fat trimmed and stored in freezer. One of these will serve as my protein base of dinner (weekend lunch) with vegetable. While I can cook the meat straight from freezer to the cooking machine (NuWave or Geroge Foreman grill), I usually partially defrost them the night before by taking the package to the refrigerator. With the meat partially defrost, I can cut them into smaller slices and marinated.

Ages ago, when I started cooking, it is somehow ingrained in my brain about marinating meat: soy sauce, cooking spirit and corn starch. Soy sauce for the salt flavor, alcohol to tenderize the meat, and corn starch to act as a coating so the meat can retain the juice better. The proportion is usually one to one on soy sauce to the alcohol with about one tea spoon of corn starch. Mix all three ingredients into marinating container and put the sliced meat in it. Stir until the meat is thoroughly soak and leave it covered in the refrigerator. I tried to do this a day in advance, but according to my brother, it should be fine to cook marinating it for only 30 minutes. Slice ginger into narrow strips and stir fried in until slightly browned. Add a bit of sesame oil for a bit of flavor and then put in the meat and stir fried until the meat is done. Just before the meat is done, add the greens (green onion, basil if available) into the pan and stir fried until they're not raw. This is what I'm going to have for dinner tonight. I'll post a picture of it later.

121/73/59 213.4lb 100 mg/DL

No comments:

Post a Comment